Maintenance 11-3-13 to 11-9-13
“They’re beginning to look a lot like oysters!”
My spat really began to take on the shape of an oyster shell this past week! Once again, due to falling water temperatures, there was very little fouling or growth on my cages.
Here’s what you should do for maintenance this week:
- Actively dunk your cages up and down in the water to remove silt and sediment from the spat.
- Give your cages a quick shake to keep your oysters from growing together.
- Leave the cages on your dock for about an hour to let last week’s growth dry out and die.
- Set a timer so that you don’t forget to put your oysters back in the water!
- Make sure your oysters are evenly distributed on the bottom of the cage and put them back in the water.
That’s it for this week. Please call Kelsey at 410-822-9143 if you have any problems with the maintenance of your cages. Talk to you next week!
The Oyster Reef Recovery Initiative