Maintenance 10-20-13 to 10-27-13
On Sunday when I checked my oysters, once again there was very little fouling or growth on the cages. The spat had grown just a little bit since last week…
Here’s what you should do for maintenance this week:
- Actively dunk your cages up and down in the water to remove the silt and sediment from the spat so that they don’t smother and die.
- Give your cages a quick shake to keep the oysters from growing together.
- Leave the cages on the dock for about an hour so that any growth that has occurred on the cages will dry out and die – this week, rest your cages on their sides so that anything that has grown on the bottom of the cage can dry out and die as well.
- Set a timer so that you don’t forget to put your oysters back in the water!
- Make sure that the oysters are evenly distributed on the bottom of the cage and put them back in the water.
AVOID USING YOUR HOSE OR POWER WASHER TO CLEAN THE CAGES. The pressure of the hose or power washer can kill the spat.
That’s it for this week. Please call Kelsey at 410-822-9143 if you have any problems with the maintenance of your cages. Talk to you next week!
The Oyster Reef Recovery Initiative